I’ve been asking myself this question lately and seeking an answer.
I have come up with this answer…My mind.
The statement, “a mind is a terrible thing to waste”, is true because of the potential power that is lost! It is the first place creation happens. It is where the builder first sees the blueprint, the teacher first creates the lesson or the musician composes the song.
This is why our environment is extremely important. Not just the space we take up but who occupies that space with us. Limited people create other limited people, not because they want to but because there is no other frame of reference within the space they occupy. It is a comfortable place for limits to exist. They can be secure and they can make people and things seem better than they are.
It is important to make adjustments to your environment from time to time or maybe even more often than that. Do you find yourself in a place where you aren’t sure if your environment is holding you back or helping to move you forward? Below are a few common things I have noticed about limiting environments:
- Questions Create Discomfort
- Sameness is Celebrated
- Permission Must Be Granted
- Errors are Feared
- Learning is Limited
Sometimes a limiting environment can be hard to notice at first. Especially if the environment shifts or if you are a person who takes your queues from others. They may not see what you see or hear what you hear. Pay attention and notice what is happening around you and make a choice to stay and change it or find a new environment. The choice will always be yours and your mind will help guide you.
If you would like to connect with me directly, leave a comment, private message or connect with me via Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter
6:15 and I am already entering the nearest coffee shop. I use the pre-ordering app to make the process go faster however when I arrive the computer system is down and so they are running late. The barista Pam upsizes my coffee because I am patiently waiting. I thank her for her kindness and when the coffee is ready I leave. As I am walking out I notice my car door is open and a man is proceeding to get into my car.
Okay, you may be asking, why weren’t my car doors locked since I was inside. Well, I still believe the world is good and so when I am running into places quickly I am known jump out, leaving the car on and doors unlocked.
So back to the man who is standing at my car. Keep in mind, his coffee is on top of my car as well. He thinks this is his vehicle except as he looks up and sees his rental car is two spaces over. I laugh really hard. He apologies and I say it is okay and I thank him for the morning joy he has now provided me. I wish him well and hope he has a great rest of the day.
Now he may be writing about his encounter as I am and I hope he too took something from our brief morning experience.
- Life is really short, be kind and good things will happen to you. Yes, this is said a lot and known by some but I seem to encounter more people who fly off the handle at the smallest things and waiting tends to be one of them. I know we are an impatient society but slowing down, reading a name tag goes a long way and could get you a Venti, if you are into that kind of thing!
- Silver cars look alike so pay attention. When we aren’t really focused on what we are doing we can mistake similar for the same. Sometimes the outcome of that is a funny life moment. Other times it can lead to mediocrity, overlooking performance or missing an opportunity all together. Similar is not same and focusing on our differences can help us see just how truly special we are.
- Get up early, you life moments are waiting for you. I think it is interesting that people who are extremely successful get up early. They don’t wait for the day to happen, they get up and start making it happen. I am not sure what you are going for in your life but I am an excited to bring new and exciting learning’s into my life. Getting up early helps me get there sooner.
I hope your mornings and days are filled with patience, kindness and funny moments that add valuable lessons to you and others.
If you would like to connect with me directly, leave a comment, private message or connect with me via LinkedIn or Twitter.
My 8 year old son, Zion, said this on Christmas day and it was funny and perfect in the moment. The excitement of Christmas was wrapped up into this simple statement. Since then, I’ve found this statement helpful to invoke emotion and help me take control of the type of day I want to have.
What IS the purpose and expectation for the day? “Today is the day, people” is a declaration, a firm statement and a belief that today IS the day.
What IS my day going to look like? Great question to ask. This question helps me try to remain in control of my life by focusing on the things that matter the most to me. Today IS the day I will accomplish the tasks I’ve been putting off, conquer the fear I have been holding and make time to laugh at myself. It just makes me feel good to know I am not perfect. Also, today IS the day I will try and remain calm, not get too stressed out with all the crazy things happening around me and remember to take time to breath.
This IS what I want my life to be. My life will be a declaration of what I want to happen and on the days when it doesn’t go my way, and I have lots of those, the phrase still works for my tomorrow.
I hope your day IS!
If you would like to connect with me directly, leave a comment, private message me or connect with me via LinkedIn or Twitter.